Sunday, August 10, 2014

First posted on FB 9/1/13:

I unfriended another person today for being too much of a neocon and then changed my profile picture to keep the Neocons at bay. This is because I do not believe we have even remotely exhausted the diplomatic possibilities of avoiding an attack or invasion of Syria. I will always be grateful to my brothers and sisters who have served in the military for the courage, honor and patriotism they have shown. Just this past week I volunteered for a new mentoring/tutoring program for our TMCC Vets. But my interactions with many Vet students has taught me that most are even more opposed to war than I am. They are prejudiced with cause, given what they saw "in country" that it is never what you think it will be, its always much worse on every level. Whether you feel the need to defend yourself, your family or your country with violence, we should not escalate the level of violence. It can't be called the last resort unless you have tried every other means possible. We spend about $1.2 million a minute on the military (that doesn't count what neocons spend on think tanks generating reasons to invade the Middle East). Couldn't we consider spending some more on diplomacy? What if we had an army of millions of diplomats whom we could deploy, thousands of trained Americans who started reaching out through FB and other means to network and broker a peace? In the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I believe we can always find a non-violent solution if we really try. Violence is never the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment