Sunday, August 10, 2014

Women In the News...Business

First posted 9/8/13:

So I was thinking that Christiane Amanpour and Martha Raddick both of ABC News (etc. for Amanpour) were the most reliable war journalists in the U.S. today, was proud that women "had arrived" so to speak as half the population of our nation (and the world). And then on CBS I heard an ad boasting: "The Syrian crisis, we have Elizabeth Palmer and Clarissa Ward." This begs the questions: Why are women being sent as our lead foreign correspondents to war torn regions, when they have to wear scarves or more and risk brutal attacks for driving, walking alone on the street, etc.? I admire them, I loved reading memoirs by NPR's Sarah Chayes (Punishment of virtue) and Anne Garrels (Naked in Badhdad), and I am proud of my sisters taking the lead. But I wonder about the white males sitting behind the anchors desks making the big bucks many of whom have never gone overseas unless it was for the Olympics or the Queen's Jubilee. This seems akin to a pattern that I recognized some years ago in my own professional circles, that men were being lifted up in ladder while women do more than their share of the heavy lifting. What do you think. Please tell me if you think my observations are bogus. Sometimes I see patterns where the behavior is just random. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment