Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Russian Olympics

First posted on FB 2/8/14:

Am watching the video of the Olympics Grand Opening Ceremony last night. Am I the only one finding this opening alienating or at least alienated? I generally love the opening ceremonies and in general consider myself relatively worldly and pretty well rounded, but I have no idea what most of the images symbolize, even with the American anchors reading their explanations. Clearly this isn't about reaching out to the world and telling us a story about their cultural history and how we are all part of the same humanity (a common theme of the past), but was all about them and their trials and tribulations. Their opening speech was all about them and their great sacrifices and patience--so very introverted and such a disappointment. And the show is so less impressive that China, Australia or GB's, to name a few. Mostly dark, dreary, melancholy, disconnected, almost chaotic at times, perhaps that is accurate for Putin's Russia. Putin's $50b folly is what I am thinking so far. I'll keep watching, about half an hour left of the opening, here comes the flag. Friends, please tell me I'm wrong and help me to see the error of my misunderstandings.

No comments:

Post a Comment